Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Top 5 Reasons To Legalize Marijuana
1. Legalizing marijuana lowers crime by eliminating cartels' biggest cash cow. Who do you want the profit to go to? Drug lords, or your own community? Who do you want to be decapitated? Innocent people or no one?
2. Speaking of money, legalizing marijuana stops the waste of money spent on putting people in prison who don't belong there. Why are we wasting time and money paying police officers to arrest people for something that isn't an actual crime?
3. By legalizing marijuana, the streets will actually be safer, because the revenue generated can be spent to hire more police officers to focus on acts that actually hurt society.
4. Legalizing marijuana will help save the environment! When you grow pot locally, it removes the costs and pollution that come from transporting it from thousands of miles away. People are going to consume marijuana no matter what, as they have been doing for thousands of years. Why not produce it here instead of Mexico? Legalizing will also eliminate secret growing operations in our national forests, where pesticides and fertilizers used leach into the water supply, endangering everything.
5. Legalizing marijuana will make America a more just and egalitarian society. In California, for example, black people and brown people are arrested up to 12 times the rate of white people for marijuana "offenses." If we honestly care about "liberty and justice for all," then we'll end this stupid war on minorities and make life better for everyone -- you know, like America is supposed to do "in Order to form a more perfect Union..."
Prohibition didn't work before, and it still doesn't work now. Let's legalize marijuana, tax it, make a shit-ton of money, end all the fucking nonsense, and get on with solving real problems...such as funding our schools, rebuilding our bridges and water systems, giving anyone who seeks a college degree or medical help the means to obtain it, and developing a national infrastructure that allows cars, trains, and ships to run on home grown hemp oil instead of petroleum from foreign countries whose populations we disgrace ourselves by murdering. I'm tired of all the destruction and bullshit. Come on, America, it's time to pull your head out of your ass. There's no limit to the good we can do, but first we have to get out of our own way.
Posted by W at 11/03/2010 03:56:00 PM